Friday, December 26, 2008

FiOS Gas comes to Yorktown

I meant to post this when I saw it a couple of weeks ago, but I noticed a FiOS banner at the Shell gas station on Commerce Street and Routes 202/35/118 in downtown Yorktown a couple of weeks ago. My family and I have seen this at stations in Cortlandt Manor and Wappingers Falls in the past, and we've started to call it "FiOS Gas". What they did at those stations is make a deal with the station owner to sell gas at what seemed to be 30c off the regular price per gallon, and Verizon would set up a FiOS sales booth at the station and their reps would try to sell you FiOS while you were in the station getting cheap gas (anyone who drove in got the discount -- signing up for FiOS was not required). Either I got there too late or they've changed their approach because I did not see a discounted gas price at the Shell station in Yorktown when I was there, but what I did notice was a $75 gift card offer for signing up for FiOS, which I had not noticed in the past. So, if you are planning to sign up for FiOS, be sure to be on the lookout for FiOS gas stations. And please post here if you see any in the Yorktown area!

Update: I was at the Poughkeepsie Galleria today and there was a FiOS booth set up, so I stopped by to ask about the FiOS gas promotion. It turns out the person at the booth was the same as had been at the Yorktown gas station (earlier this week, in addition to the time I saw it there). He confirmed that they've changed how they work at the gas stations, and no longer offer discounted gas to everyone (boo!), instead offering a $75 gas gift card if you sign up with them. He told me that they are not able to offer special promotions like $10 off per month that I have heard people were able to get when ordering over the phone, so if you can get that, it is a better option than signing up at the gas station promotion. Obviously, it does not hurt to try and get the best deal you can get when signing up. Oh yeah, they tried to sign me up for FiOS, even plugged in my phone number, but of course it said that it was not available :-(.

No comments: